Thursday, January 19, 2012

NEWSWEEK is History!!!

Today I received my weekly edition of Newsweek. I have maintained my subscription for approximately thirty years and have always looked forward to each week's articles. One of the long time editors, went to high school with me and I had a certain allegiance, as a result of him being my classmate. I truly valued the content and the way the magazine challenged my intellect.

"Why are Obama's Critics So Dumb?" was today's headline. It literally screamed out from this week's cover, adjacent to a picture of President Obama. This headline was insulting, degrading and sophomoric in nature, to those of us not in favor of Obama. I think, I finally have hit my limit with this magazine and its continued growth of liberal garbage and utter waste of good paper. Over time it has gone from a literal advocate of the real news and has now swung completely to the left and only offers biased adolescent material.

Over the years I have witnessed the destruction, of what was once a valued publication. Newsweek once held prestige and was admired within the industry. Newsweek annually took honors (reference the link below) and became an established Icon of the industry. It has now become a rag that should be placed along side "The Enquirer" and other trash publications at the checkout counter. It currently borders on insanity and contributes no value to the citizens of this or any other country.

In addition, Newsweek advocates have come to expect a bi-annual restructure of the magazine, which in most cases gets farther and farther away from reality and any sense of organization or quality. I am a proponent of change and understand the need to refresh your look and style to cultivate new patrons and hopefully keep the existing endorsers. There becomes a point in time when excessive change becomes delusional and Newsweek is obsessed with altering the layout, whether it is really necessary or not.

A few of the layouts have improved the magazine's overall merit, but in most cases it has decreased the intrinsic value. Some have bordered on obsessive lunacy and have helped destruct the once proud periodical. A subscriber barely has time to adjust to a new theme before a brand new look comes along. It appears as if they hire a new marketing person every six months and their first task is to redesign the magazine's layout.

As I no longer have any interest in receiving a publication that issues articles from the ultimate left and no longer brings any challenge to my intellect, I feel I must let my subscription expire. It is a sad day and I feel like I have lost a arm or a leg. Well.....no maybe a digit. Oh well, it just like losing a hangnail!


http://www.hillmanfoundation.org/node/388






1 comment: