Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Company Loyalty is Dead!!!

Some days the bear eats you and some days you eat the bear, as Stephen Stills sang. A friend of mine was laid off recently, after dedicating over 20 years of their life, to a company that I worked with, for a few years. Given that I was in the industry for over 30 years and this individual worked for me at one time or another that should narrow it down. Right! I would venture to guess I have worked with a minimum of 10,000 people over the years.

This individual had character and one of the most ethical personifications that exists. I am sure it was a case of "Downsizing" and eliminating salary costs. After a while in the convenience store industry, just like any other employment, age and wages start to catch up with you and you become a liability that corporate has no need to support.

I remember as a child growing up, my mother would get upset with my father for job hopping. In those days, one was expected to stay with a company over their career and bare the fruits of your labor upon retirement. This is complete and unadulterated hogwash these days, as we all know, it simply isn't true. The only consideration is the bottom line for any and all companies.

You may find it odd that I am so upset about a friend losing their position in this particular company, but if you knew this person and the manner they conducted themselves, you would completely understand. This person was a leader, peer and true companion. They could always be relied upon, when I needed advice or just to talk about work or life in general.

We discussed the situation and the person inquired whether I would be a reference. Obviously I will do what ever I can, but the sad truth is that once you leave the industry, you are basically a "persona non grata" and are thought of as a non entity. So....I will gladly be your reference friend, but I am not exactly sure you will receive any benefit from this old man's opinion!

I wish that the opposite were true and companies still had the backbone and gumption to stand up for their employees and people who worked diligently for such a period, were revered and not cast aside. Sadly this is the way of the world and its each bear for themselves!

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed at how people hate Michael Moore. I mean he started to show America what was up in the breakout documentary, "Roger and Me" and how GM wiped out the whole town of Flint, Mi. We all know how our total industrial base has left the country, half of michigan has migrated to Texas etc. but we prefer to demonize Mike for even talking about it. Don't get me wrong, Mike Moore is too far left for even me, Mr. Ron Paul supporter, but your blog does bring up how we are all being sterile towards each other. Raw capitalism says, "law of supply and demand". Check! Over supply of humans, = low wages and cold, unemotional efficiency. Rick Perry touched the subject when chewing out Romney with his "Venture capitalism" = good, "Vulture Capitalism" =bad mantra.. I think you bring up a real point, Mike H, when you question the status quo wanting loyality, when they themselves have no intention in the world being loyal to the worker(s) themselves. Another sad hypocrisy exposed! Loved your blog today, Mike H.

    ReplyDelete